Best bank or building society account for personal injury trust

To create a trust for personal injury compensation you need a trust deed. This is a legal document which creates the trust and appoints your trustees.

Once your trust document is complete the next step is for the trustees to open a separate bank or building society account to hold your personal injury trust fund. Opening an account should be easy as the trustees are simply opening a joint account.

First create the trust with a deed and then open an account. You cannot create a trust by simply opening a separate bank account, you need to first create the trust with a deed. Many people turn up at a bank without a deed and this is why confusion is created. I suggest you waste no time on banks before the trust deed is complete.

I recommend you open an account in a convenient local branch. The trust account should be cheque book only, with at least two signatures being required for a financial transaction, so there will be times when you need help at the branch.Bank or building society account wanted for personal injury trust

The first step is to have a trust document, called a trust deed, prepared for you  It is the trust document which creates the trust, not the bank or building society account. There should be no need to ask the bank to get involved in the trust itself. All you want from the bank or building society is the facility of an account.

You need a current account to make a start but do remember you can open other accounts and investments, provided the accounts and investments are held by the trust.

There should be two trustees as a minimum. If the compensated person is to be a trustee there should be at least two other trustees. The bank account should be a joint account, and should require joint signatures. The account for a personal injury trust should use the title of the trust. A trust for compensation set up for me in 2015 would be called the Mark Thompson Personal Injury Settlement 2015.

So what you need is a joint account for the trustees, and the account must have a particular name. That should not be difficult as businesses and organisations have accounts in the name of the organisation rather than the individuals who are to sign the cheques.

Help on personal injury trust 0330

It seems that as soon as the words “personal injury trust” are used in a bank the transaction immediately becomes complicated. If you are lucky you will find a member of the bank staff who has dealt with a personal injury trust before, but where that experience is lacking opening the account can become complicated. Some refer to head office, and some call in the bank’s own trust or legal department. The worst recent experience of a client was to be told off at a well-known building society for trying to hide money from the government. That is just ignorance of the law. Creating a personal injury trust is perfectly legitimate and based on benefit regulations which specifically allow trusts to protect compensation from the means-testing for certain State benefits and entitlements.

Please do not be put off, as accounts have been opened by all clients. It is a question of finding someone at the bank or building society with a bit of experience. There are two banks which cannot help you as they seem unable to give an account a name which differs from the signatories. I think the best way to approach the bank or building society is:

  1. Do not ask at the window or counter where staff are dealing with basic transactions.
  2. Do not contact telephone advice lines as the call handlers are unlikely to be able to help.
  3. Ask for an appointment to see a private banker or financial adviser.
  4. Have a copy of the trust document available.
  5. Explain you want to set up a joint account for the trustees, and that the account must have a particular name.

This approach gets the best results. If you turn up at a bank or building society and say you want to set up a personal injury trust you will be met with a blank expression. What you actually want is to open a joint account for the trustees.

Call without obligation on 0330 223 1708

Some banks do promote accounts for trusts. I have not come across one with a reasonable level of interest. Most accounts can be opened by trustees provided you approach them as I suggest.

I would like to hear from those who have been compensated for accidents and injuries. Please let me know the bank or building society and branch you use, as there are differences between branches, and lets discover which bank or building society has got its act together and understands the needs of those with personal injury trusts.

My second request is for information about banks and building societies which pay a decent rate of interest, and allow easy access to the trust money. One bank has tried to persuade me that interest is only to be paid on a trustee account if the balance is more than £50,000.

In the interests of those trying to open accounts please share your experience by commenting below. I look forward to hearing from you.


About Mark Thompson

Personal injury and accident specialist solicitor
This entry was posted in Personal injury trust and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

189 Responses to Best bank or building society account for personal injury trust

  1. Chloe Beckett says:

    I’m very lucky and had an easy time setting up my trust with BARCLAYS. I booked an appointment with bank and my trustees came along. She filled in paperwork and we signed she then said it had to be sent off to be approved of opening and that it could take up to 10 working days. It took around 4-5 and I had a letter to say my trust was set up and all the info with it. Amazing and quick help from Mark and Barclays. Thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *